Thursday, March 4, 2010

Part 2: Cheese

Last year, I got a hankering to try making my own mozzarella. Ignoring all warnings that mozzarella is by far one of the hardest cheeses to make, I bought some milk, printed directions, and got to it.

It was a complete and utter failure. So was the second attempt.

This would be an excellent time to point out that my husband, E., is a complete saint. My knight in shining armor. He’s smart, supportive, and loving, and above all, his background is chemistry. Ha! He immediately got online to troubleshoot my mozzarella, then stayed up with me until 3 AM to make sure the third time was a success. Sigh.

There aren’t words to describe the feeling when I dipped that cheese into hot water and finally- FINALLY!- the curds melded together in my hands, forming a shining, stretchy mass of pure deliciousness. We ate every little bite, smiling all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment