Friday, April 16, 2010

Parmesan: Round One

I loooove parmesan cheese. I even took the time to visit the city of Parma in Italy, which was, I must admit, slightly disappointing, even though they did serve prosciutto and cheese for breakfast.

So when I decided to try my hand at parmesan, I was pleasantly pleased at how easy it really was. I made this one using only cow’s milk, despite recommendations to combine this with goat’s milk for a richer flavor. (Next time.) I also neglected to read the part that mentioned you should make this in 4 pound increments; anything smaller won’t age as nicely. Oops. My single pound wheel of parmesan seems to be a little dry, but still tasty, though I’ve only nibbled on a few fallen curds from the edges.
I think this is a pretty unique cheese, and I got a kick out of soaking it in a salt brine to create the rind. Most practice is needed, but overall, this one turned out pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment