Friday, April 9, 2010

St. Laure

I decided to try my hand at my first mold ripened cheese. Perhaps I was a bit ambitious; the plan was to make Brie, St. Maure, and whey ricotta all in one day.
Have I learned nothing through all this?! Patience is obviously something I lack.
I used a starter culture that I’m guessing wasn’t fresh (now I will only use my favorite cheese source, not try to skimp!) so ended up with a slow coagulation. Additionally, in my rush, I left my Brie and St. Maure cheeses to coagulate for too long. They got cold. I got mush.

The Brie was a disaster, oozing all over the place when I tried to mold it. I threw a bit of a tantrum; E. watched the Olympics while I lamented my failure. The St. Maure drained in cheesecloth overnight and was somewhat salvageable; I molded it into goat cheese molds and called it a night. It has been sprayed with white mold and is now aging in the cheese fridge. Still too early to call this one a success, so it’s temporarily called St. Laure in honor of my failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment