Monday, May 24, 2010

Lemon Cheese

Twice this year I've been treated to a cloud-like pouf of cheese that is made using citric acid as a coagulant. And twice it's etched a place in my memory, creating what I would start to call an obsession on my part. The first sample, from Cowgirl Creamery, was light and tangy, and perfect for our picnic in San Francisco. E and I drove up to Tomales Bay for oysters in January, then picked up some bread and cheese to enjoy on the way home. We ate all of it in one sitting; it was just that delicious.

The second sample was in Montana (of all places) at a restaurant called Q Cuisine. E was the "winemaster" for this event, and the chef paired his homemade lemon cheese with some of the Chardonnays. OUT. STAND. ING. I was lucky enough to solicit the recipe from him, and this weekend, I tested my own.

And it's beautiful! And clean tasting! And slightly lemony, without being overbearing! And it was one of the easiest cheeses I've ever, ever made. This one will become a house special.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you could make that cheese for The Chardonnay Symposium. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete