Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Parmesan: Round Two

My last recipe for Parmesan mentioned at the very end that this cheese should only be made in four pound increments because of its unique aging time. (I definitely need to start reading instructions all the way through...) So this time, I intended to follow this request and made a huge batch. All well and good, except my mold only barely holds three pounds. I stuffed it full, piled on some weights, and went to bed.

In the middle of the night, I woke to a loud crash in the kitchen. My press had tilted slightly, and the weights had come crashing to the floor, leaving a nice dent in one tile. So my parmesan is a little crooked, but I’m hoping this won’t affect anything. It does seem a bit moister than last time, too, but that might have something to do with the uneven weights.

That was two months ago, and honestly, it's tasting great and really has the texture of parmesan this time. Maybe it likes its funky shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment