Monday, September 27, 2010

Just Can It

It's that time of year again. When I get the itch to nest, preserve, and be a little homebody. Time to can tomatoes. But I've learned a few things since last year, so if you get the itch, keep the following in mind:

- Go with small batches. Last year's 50 pound of tomatoes at once resulted in bad moods all around. This year, I'm doing a series of smaller rounds so I won't want to kill myself in the whole process.

-Buy the right tools. Especially special tongs to lift jars from boiling water. Regular tongs do NOT work, as demonstrated by last year's splilt black thumbnail (an unfortunate accident involving tongs slipping and snapping on me).

-Get gloves. This is an extension of the listing above, but seriously, laytex gloves mean I don't have green, drying fingernails, and having some waterproof ones saved me many MANY burns this year.

Now I can actually enjoy the canning process AND the results. Isn't that what it's all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment