Friday, July 22, 2011

My Little Fuzzies

With the humidity thing somewhat under control, I decided to try another mold inoculated cheese last week. This time, I followed a new recipe for St. Maure, but made it with cow’s milk, which produces a cheese I call St. Laure. I had some new molds to use, so ended up with three beautiful little cheeses.

Instead of directly salting the cheeses like I always have, the new book recommended dunking them in a salt solution for 10 minutes. I did this, and they softened a bit but the salt seemed to be more evenly distributed on the surface. After some air drying, they are stowed away in the cheese fridge in their mini-cave bags, and I’m already seeing some white mold on the surface.

I'm still tasting a little bitterness in some of my aging cheeses, even though I changed the rennet. I guess that wasn't the problem. Perhaps it's our water? Yet another obstacle to overcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment