Monday, July 11, 2011

Proud Amateur Cheesemaker!

I decided to warm up to cheesemaking again by starting with a little cow’s milk farm cheese. This is a relatively simple cheese that I’ve made a million times. It forms the nicest little pats that can be eaten within a few weeks or inoculated with a white mold (candidum) and aged a bit longer for a creamier cheese. I made several of these and served one on a cheese tray to some friends who came over- they loved it, even more than the professionally made cheeses I served as well! And I didn’t tell them until AFTER they tried them all that I had made it.

Three little farm cheeses are now in the cheese fridge aging away in their own little “caves.” As you’ve read, I’ve had trouble with humidity in my dry state of California. The book suggested a large Ziploc bag around the cheeses- what a simple fix. I had thought more air needed to circulate so had never tried this myself, but it seems to be working. We tasted on this weekend and there was some bitterness, but perhaps that will phase out with time. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment